BP - Biblical Proportions

I can't get the idea out of my head that the BP oil spill has some of the character of a plague of biblical proportions that's being visited on the US.

They are the most unrepentant gas guzzling nation on the planet. If you were a god, and it was your turn, you would, wouldn't you? "As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods, they kill us for their sport" as Master Shakespeare put it. It's not that I think they deserve it - I don't think anyone deserves that - but I bet I'm not alone in thinking that it won't make any difference in the way they go on consuming the stuff.

In the meantime, aren't they lucky to have had BP's flak-catcher and Chief Executive Idiot Tony Hayward to vilify? The man seems hell-bent on making a catastrophe out of a disaster.

Somewhere up in the Arctic will be next - unless they make a real find near the Falklands. Either way, it'll be penguins, not pelicans.

No comments: